Tuesday, May 11, 2010

'Well done, mate' cries echo in PU colleges

'Well done, mate!' cries echo in PU colleges

Bangalore: After the declaration of the pre-university college (PUC) results, students queued up in front of their colleges to share their happiness with their peers.
Cameras clicking, elated friends lifting each other off the ground in cheer, parents’ joy knowing no bounds… it was celebration time at many campuses, especially for the toppers, even though many of them are anxiously waiting for the results of the Common Entrance Test (CET) for admission to professional courses.
At Mount Carmel PU College, students started coming to the campus in the morning itself. “I did not expect such a good score,” said Mamta S Chhabria, 18, who got 96.6% in science.
“The scores have definitely boosted my confidence levels,” she said. “However, the CET will be my real test. Cracking the CET and securing a seat in a good medical college is my dream. As I was focusing more on preparing for the entrance exam, I did not worry too much about the PU results. I had scored 96% in Class 10 also, and this 96.6% in PU has given me the confidence that I may be able to achieve my medical dream too,” she said.
The PUC results came as a relief to many parents, too, putting an end to the many days filled with anxiety.
“My son got more than 80% in the arts stream,” said Sudha Joshi, an elated parent. “I am extremely happy with his marks,” she said.
Students comparing their results with peers was a common sight in all colleges across the city.
While some did this overjoyed, there were others who were disappointed with their scores.
“I’ve been studying for five hours a day without a break over the past five months. Mathematics gave me many sleepless nights, and I am not very happy with my Mathematics score as I really slogged it out. I had hoped for much better results, and I don’t really know where it went wrong,” said Chetan K from MES PU College.
In fact, colleges were flooded with calls from Thursday evening itself with top scorers wanting to find out who emerged numero uno in their subject stream. Not just this, there were even batch toppers who were keen to find out who was the college topper and where they stood in the rankings.
The excitement among students also rubbed off onto teachers who mentored them. Many lecturers were also found enjoying the Kodak moments with the elated young crowd, while some were counselling those who were upset with their scores.
“The hard work students had put in has worked wonders in our college, which has got a 97.8% pass percentage. About 87.5% of the 1,338 students in our college, who had appeared for the PU exams, passed with a distinction or first class. The toppers will be felicitated on Tuesday,” Sheela Chacko, lecturer of Chemistry at Christ PU College, said.

Source Link: http://www.dnaindia.com/academy/report_well-done-mate-cries-echo-in-pu-colleges_1380449

No comments:

Post a Comment