Interview Questions : B.COM
1. Questions on favorite subject: (Income Tax) were asked. Specifically on capital gains.
2. Should the limited liability clause be abrogated.
3. Make a profit and loss account and a balance sheet.
4. What is operating profit? Gross profit? Net profit? Cost of goods sold? Cost of sales? Where will commission on sales come?
5. Differentiate between commerce, trade and business.
6. Comment on the new EXIM policy.
7. Comment on India’s EXIT policy.
8. What is zero base budgeting?
9. What are disclosure norms?
10. When should a firm be shut down?
11. What constitutes insider trading and why is it wrong?
12. What are the principles of accounts? What does dy/dx mean? What is a point of influx?
13. What is capital account convertibility?
14. What are ‘double entry accounts’? Give a definition that your grandmother would understand.
15. What is ‘single entry’?
16. Explain the entry for unpaid/accrued interest. Where is the double entry?
17. What are the principles of costing? If I had a factory and wanted to undertake a costing exercise, how would I go about it?
18. What is break – even analysis?
19. Give examples of fixed, variable and semi – variable costs?
20. What is net present value?
21. What is internal rate of return?
22. If I gave you Rs. 1,00,000 for a year @ 5%, what would you do with it?
23. What is sunk cost?
24. What is the difference between accounts and finance?
25. Assets are shown on the balance sheet at cost less depreciation. If the market value of the asset is higher, is this not a misrepresentation? What accounting concept is involved in this?
26. What is working capital ratio? Acid test ratio? Proprietary ratio? What is the ideal acid test ratio?
27. Is a bank loan a current liability?
28. What are the things you would look for in a balance sheet if you are analyzing the performance of a company?
29. What is the difference between owned and borrowed capital? For a company with long gestation period, which kind is better?
30. What is capital gearing ratio?
31. What is costing?
32. What is marginal costing? What are its applications?
33. After an asset has been fully depreciated, how should its cost be allocated to the product?
34. Draw the various cost curves. Is the fixed cost curves always downward sloping?
35. What is the difference between preference shares and equity shares?
36. What is working capital? How would you manage a company with high working capital requirements/
37. What are direct and indirect taxes? When was excise started? What is a presumptive tax?
38. What is discounted cash flow? How is it used? Why is depreciation not deducted form profit after tax for the purpose of discounting?
39. What is transfer pricing?
40. What is SLR? CRR? What is the difference between the two?
41. What are the other ways to raise funds from public other than shares and debentures?
42. What is a brand? Do you think you can have brands in the service sector? Name three product categories which have better sales in the rural areas than the urban areas.
43. What do you understand by ‘Value for Money’? What is India’s BPO figure for the last quarter?
44. What is Gold Bond Scheme? Why was it introduced?
45. What is MOD VAT/ Professional tax? Corporation tax? Differentiate between excise and customs duty.
46. Comment on Gold Bond Scheme. Don’t you think it will encourage black marketing? If your neighbor converts his black money into white money through this Gold Bond Scheme, what will your reaction be?
47. What is to be done to improve the BPO situation?
48. What is the difference between growth and development?
49. Where does India figure in world trade?
50. What is the difference between IMF and the World Bank? Name some projects that the World Bank has taken up in India?
51. Which is the largest company in the world? In India? Which do you think is a better index of measuring size – profits, sales, assets?
52. Difference between cash and funds. Break even point definition and plotting.
53. What does a chartered accountant do?
54. What is meant by legal entity of a company? Can a shareholder be an employee/creditor of a company?
55. What is the maximum number of companies a chartered accountant can audit? In a CA firm, if there are 20 partners, how many companies can be audited?
56. What is full convertibility? Who will gain from it? Exporters or importers?
57. Are banks allowed to buy/sell shares in India?
58. What is the difference between finance and accounts, shares and debentures?
59. What does the ISI mark stand for?
60. What is rupee convertibility?
61. What is black money? Who has worked on it?
62. What are transfer earnings?
63. What do you mean by trade account?
64. What is the effect of depreciation on the balance sheet and a P&L a/c (cash flow)? What is working capital? How do you control the flow of stocks?
65. Different tools used in capital budgeting. Which is the best? When can IRR and NPV methods contradict? What is a cash flow? What is NPV, IRR? Can there be more than one IRR?
66. Differentiate between fiscal, revenue and budgetary deficits.
67. Can net worth of a company be negative? When? Name a company which has negative net worth?
68. Can a layman understand the financial position of a company from a balance sheet? What is the role of SEBI?
69. Have you heard that marginal costing increases the range of products? Why? Explain.
70. What do you mean by double entry accounts? How does it differ from single entry? What is a balance sheet? How is it related to a P&L a/c? What is an accrued expenditure?
71. What is Break-even analysis? Explain as if I were a layman by drawing a graph.
72. What is the MRTP Act? How do you define monopolistic trade practices and restrictive trade practices?
73. You have studied income tax. Explain to me if I am a doctor and purchased a car an year ago for a certain amount and sold it a few days back for a Rs. 15,000 profit, how will it be treated for income tax purposes if I use it for professional purpose and if I use it personally?
74. Draw the demand curve for petroleum products considering that their demand has been continuously growing inspite of a high rate of rise in their prices.
75. When will deficits not be harmful (budget deficits, fiscal deficits)?
76. What is budget deficit? How is deficit met? Is budget deficit a boon or curse for commerce?
77. What is annuity? When is present value more than future value?
78. What are the various items of information required for calculation under the net present value method of capital budgeting?