Sunday, September 18, 2011

Improve your test taking skills to increase scores: CL Academic Head at Live Chat

As the CAT 2011 exam is approaching, the aspirants are getting more and more worked up regarding the preparation pattern. In this last lap of preparation, the main aim is to improve the scores of the mock tests so that they can get a good score in the actual CAT 2011 exam. To guide the students on improving the scores, MBAUniverse.com is continuing with the series of Live Expert Chats on the topic ‘how to improve your mock scores for CAT 2011’. The last AskMBAUniverse.com Live Expert Chat was held on September 16, 2011 with Abhishek Gupta, Senior Manager, Academic Team, Career Launcher.

Read on the excerpts of the Live Expert Chat.

Q: Sid: I am unable to score more than 80 percentile in CAT and loosing all my hopes on CAT. At times I think of concentrating on SNAP, XAT and MAH CET then CAT or take CAT again next year. How to improve in one month?

A: Even SNAP, XAT and MAH-CET aren't going to easy. CAT is your best chance of making it to top B-School. Analyze the tests taken by you thoroughly and find where you missed out. Most of the times, it's not the subject knowledge but the test-taking sills that make a difference.

Q: Aparna: My percentile in mocks keeps varying from 80, 90, 84 and 88. I want to get over 95 percentile. Please help me!

A: Have you analyzed the tests taken by you? Analysis doesn't mean just looking at the explanatory solutions. Try to find if you have done optimally in the mocks. Optimal performance means doing your level best. See if you are missing on some topic repeatedly, or regularly miss sitters etc.

Q: Rohan: How often should I take mock tests? How and what is the parameter to analyze my performance in test?

A: You shouldn't take more than three to four full-length mocks in a week. Analysis of the mocks is more important. Take the next mock only when you have analyzed the previous one very thoroughly and learnt your lessons through it. You should ensure that you don't repeat the same mistakes again.

Q: Samudra Sen: Sir, as only 35+ days are left, which type of mocks would you suggest me to take, sectional or full length mock test?

A: Ideally, full-length tests now. Take sectional tests if you think one of the two sections has got a major problem and needs more attention than the other.

Q: Anand Kumar: Sir which will be the right day to take CAT 2011 exam? Is it preferred to take during the first, middle or end sessions? Also, which time would be better, morning or afternoon slot?

A: Doesn't make any difference. Take it whenever you are most comfortable and have no obligations - social or others - during that one week around the test.

Q: Venu: I have been getting almost 85 to 90 percentile in Career Launcher Mock tests. What are my chances in CAT 2011? Does this score reflect in final day exam? Please give suggestion.

A: You generally tend to score more in CAT than what you get in mocks, provided you don't do anything too different on the D-day. At your percentile, you definitely stand a chance for good B-schools, though not the best ones. There is still some time left, work harder.

Q: Khushbu Sudhir: Sir I'm taking CAT in 54 days & have 45 days for IRMA. I haven't completed Quant syllabus yet. What r my chances? What should be my strategies? Shall I drop this year & take it next year?

A: Start working harder. Quant syllabus won’t take more than 15 days if you are prepared to slog it out. Even if you are planning to take it next year, why not take it this year as well. You don't stand to lose anything apart from a few thousand rupees.

Q: Manisha: I'm doing self preparation for CAT. Please suggest me strategy for this last lap. I'm almost done with Quant, Verbal & DILR. I haven't taken any mocks yet.

A: You answered it yourself. Start taking the Mocks. Take at least 10 to 15 tests before the actual one.

Q: Amaresh Nayak: What should I do to improve my CAT percentile? I haven't joined any coaching. I will join test series. How many mocks shall I take?

A: Join a test series, take at least 10 to 15 tests, analyze each test thoroughly, ensure that you don't repeat your mistakes in the next mock, and improve with every mock to peak at the actual exam.

Q: Manasa Priya: Sir my English knowledge is good but somehow I can't score well in VA. There are many questions which I mark wrong. What should I do to enhance my score?

A: Try and find out what's going wrong with the answers if you think your language skills are okay. Analyze the wrong answers, and don't repeat the same mistakes again. I don't see a reason for you to do poorly every time despite having good language skills.

Q: Suprita Venkatesh: Sir my Quant & DI section is very weak. What shall I do? What should be the strategy to attempt questions?

A: Practice, practice and practice! Develop the art of picking the easier questions from the section. There are enough sitters in the section to give you a decent score despite limited ability.

Q: Preet: Sir my graduation marks is 48 per cent and I belong to OBC category. Am I eligible to take CAT?

A: I am afraid you are not. The cut-off for OBC is same as that for General Category i.e. 50 per cent. Check www.catiim.in for details.

Q: Ganesh: Hello sir. I have completed my 12th in Commerce stream with 84 per cent and I want to do MBA in finance. Can you please suggest me what type of preparation should I start from now so that I can get a good score in CAT?

A: I will suggest just two things at this stage. Do them religiously. 1. Read a lot on diversified subjects. 2. Start loving puzzle-solving. All the best!

Q: Triveni: I completed B. Tech this year with 84 per cent. I want to work for a year and then take CAT. I haven't started any preparation yet. My aim is to join IIMs. Is work ex of one year sufficient?

A: IIMs take freshers as well. So one year that way is not a problem. Start preparing.

Q: Pavan Kumar: Sir I'm doing my B. Tech final year. In my previous semesters I had backlogs and I cleared them. If I get a call from IIMs will there be any problem to my selection due to my backlogs?

A: You may have to answer some very uncomfortable questions about the backlogs. But they can always be prepared in advance. They won't reject you because of your backlogs, but it will need some special answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment