Wednesday, January 15, 2014

CAT 2013 Topper: Delhi’s Anirudh Batra, a sports enthusiast, scores a perfect 100

A regular guy, Anirudh Batra of Delhi’s Paschim Vihar area, created history when he scored a perfect 100 percentile in CAT 2013. But this is not the first time this young lad, all of 22 years of age made news, he also made headlines in 2012 when he ended up topping the CMAT for which he very candidly goes on to say that CMAT was just a step forward in his journey to take up more management exams, he had no intension of topping it.
On how he feels to be CAT 2013 topper, this BITS Pilani alumini reveals, “It’s a great feeling, it’s a once in a lifetime feeling. Everyone is happy about it. But I need to focus on my next steps as well that is also a point. That’s something at the top of my brain right now.” His family which comprises of his parents, sister, grandmother and aunt are elated with the latest feather he has in his cap.
Read this exclusive interview with Anirudh Batra, the only topper of CAT 2013 from Delhi to know his success mantra for the exam.

If you had to describe yourself in a sentence what would that be, we all know you as the CAT topper but apart from that who are you?

I mean, I am just a normal guy, nothing special about me. I mean it just worked out fine for me this time, so that’s ok there’s nothing …. There’s nothing special about me. I aimed for this and I got it so I feel lucky. I do not think there is anything else to this.

What is your sectional score in CAT 2013?

My sectional scores in percentiles are; the quant percentile is 99.98 and the overall percentile is 99.99.

Where have you done your graduation from?

I am a BE from Bits Pilani in Electronics and Instrumentation.

Did you join any coaching to crack CAT?

Last time around I joined TIME, this time I took few mock tests and all. In Pilani I had this small coaching centre, TIME’s extended branch, which was the first time. This is my second attempt at CAT, this time I joined Byju for (subject related) classes, they were good, I tried a lot of mocks also. I joined TIME and Career Launchers to give a lot of mock tests after the classes.

Are you working somewhere at present? What is your work experience?

Yes, I am working at a firm (Atrenta) in Noida. I am working since the past 6 months, I am a software engineer.

Was this your first attempt at CAT? What was your score in previous years?

This is my second attempt at CAT. It was somewhere around 98.

Why didn't you take admission last year?

I did not get through any good colleges then.

What other exams did you give?

I gave XAT and IIFT this year.

What as per you is the minimum time frame to prepare well for CAT?

 Four to five months is fine, that is if you are a fresher and studying in college. If you in a job it will take more time because you can devote less number of hours per day.

How long did you prepare for CAT?

As this was my second attempt, I was basically carrying the concepts from the first time. This time around I spend an hour on every weekday and 3-4 hours on weekends.

What was your preparation strategy for CAT 2013 and how was it different from your preparation strategy of last year?

In 2012, I did not have a good strategy for verbal ability. I thought, I will see and do it then and there. This time around I developed an action-plan or framework to solve verbal sections. Quant has always been something I know how to do, so I can do it right at the time of the exam; as compared to my verbal sections. Verbal I didn’t have a strategy last time, so this time around I analyzed the mocks more deeply for different kinds of questions like for reading comprehension (RC) and analysis; I made few points in my mind, basic rules to solve the paper.

Is it necessary to join a coaching institute to fare well in CAT or is self study enough?

It depends from person to person. If you can study, you can discipline yourself, then it’s ok, if you cannot then join a coaching centre. I think coaching centres give you a proper disciplined atmosphere; you have to go and sit there, so that gives a framework again, kind of a direction to the entire preparation process.

What as per you were your weak areas? What did you do to improve those weak areas?

Comparatively, the verbal section was always my weaker area. As I was telling, I developed a framework this time, last time I went for the exam just like that and thought that I will do the verbal section right then and there. I made some rules for sentence completion, made some rules for para-jumbles, tried to make some rules for RCs, focused more on the LR (logical reasoning) part; tried to get all of them right. Because LR is something where you know the answer, you can calculate the right answer.

Do you feel it is important to revise, if yes, how much time did you spend on revision?

Yes, I feel revision keeps everything fresh in your mind. It is good to revise.
This year for me was basically revision of last year’s concepts. Most of the concepts I learnt last year only, this year was more about taking the test better.

Were you always a bright student?

I won’t say that, I was not a very bright student, I was fine. I did my schooling from Springdales at Pusa Road and I graduated from Bits Pilani in 2013. Academically I have always done well, I also took part in extra-curricular activities. I have been an avid quizzer in my school and college days. Besides that I like playing sports and watching movies as well as television series. I like doing any regular college student kind of thing.

Do you pursue any hobbies?

 I am into sports and all; I like to play sports in my free time or just to relax. I listen to music, anything and everything is fine. There is no particular hobby that I pursue for hours and hours, together.

Did you get a call from any institute? Which is your dream institute?

IIM Ahmedabad’s list is out and IIM Shillong’s list is out and I am on both of them.
I have not made my decision yet,  I will take the interview as when it will come, once I will take my final converts, I will be able to comment on it. There is no dream institute kind of a thing, an institute can take you that far only, it’s all up to you in the end. So, I can say for me there is no dream institute as such, every institute has its own strengths and weaknesses. I will decide when the final converts come.

Any tips for CAT aspirants?

Everyone has their own journey; everyone has their own strengths as well as their own weaknesses.  So, you cannot put any one advice out there. My only advice is that you should not be discouraged (if you are not able to crack CAT), do not take it to heart; it works out fine that way. You should always think that- I have other options also.

No comments:

Post a Comment